Sunday, November 07, 2010

No Title

No Title
by: R.A. Slater
Circa 1998-2006 (again, something written during the First Baptist years that I have no date for!)

I have been forged in Fire, born again in Blood and Spirit
Been made strong through fire and water
As silver is refined so too has my soul been through the crucible
Like liquid gold Ihave been poured out before the Lord
Impurities He has scooped out with a net
And not a drop of glory was lost
As the blacksmith tempers his iron and steel with fire and water
So too has my heart been tempered
As clay on the potter's wheel, molded and crafted
His hands have been at work in me
And I have felt the heat of the kiln

I am so tired and weary
As I wonder if this work will ever be done
For it seems that as soon as one aspect is over
I find that I have just begun with another
When I have barely cooled from the fire of the blacksmith
I find myself in the crucible
When I think I am done in the crucible
I find myself on the potter's wheel
It seems as though I have reached the finish line
To find that I have only just begun to run the race
I do not know whether I have run before He was finished
Or whether there is more to do than I realized
Imperfections galore, I wonder if there is anything precious within me
Hiw word does say so, but I seem woefully lacking
Changes to be made for the better
Is there anything that can go untouched?

I am feeling quite attacked
By those who should be my defenders
Perhaps that is how the patient feels
When the doctor wields the scalpel
But right now I am in no mood
For metaphor and simile
I hurt and don't know why
I ache and cannot find the source
I am depressed and can't find the air pump!
The sliver is wedged in deep and all the flesh around it is tender
Which is where everyone wants to probe
It feels as though I am losing too much blood
And everyone insists that we continue to operate
And woe is me -
Despite my words
I just used a metaphor and a simile!
Is there no mercy? :)
If it weren't so sad, I would laugh
If it weren't so funny, I would cry
But it seems I can do neither

"You, who have shown me great and severe troubles,
Shall revive me again,
And bring me up again from the depths of the earth.
You shall increase my greatness,
And comfort me on every side." Psalm 71:20-21

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Some poems just don't need a title.